Friday 15 October 2010

Perfectly Imperfect

I am joining Brene Brown’s protest against perfectionism.  It’s perfect timing for what is going on in my life right now.  I’m at a point where I need to treat myself with love and kindness.  I have a long road to travel and perfect is not the answer.

I am imperfect

I don’t drink enough water
I am impatient
I forget to hang out the washing
I exercise too little
I order too much takeaway
I can’t say no
I worry too much
I try to control things that are uncontrollable
I bite my nails
I never wash my makeup off at night
I am hopeless at running
I forget to wear sunscreen
I am authentically me.

Brene writes 'Being our best selves is about cultivating the courage to be vulnerable and imperfect. Perfectionism, on the other hand, is the belief that if we live perfect, look perfect, and act perfect, we can minimize or avoid the pain of blame, judgment, and shame. It's that simple. Perfection is not about healthy striving or being our best, it's how we protect ourselves. 
In the new book, I write, "Perfectionism is a twenty-ton shield that we lug around thinking it will protect us when, in fact, it’s the thing that’s really preventing us from taking flight."
Putting down the perfection shield is scary. Finding the courage, compassion and connection to move from What will people think? to I am enough! is not easy. But however afraid we are of change, the question that we must ultimately answer is this: 
What’s the greater risk? Letting go of what people think or letting go of how I feel, what I believe, and who I am?
Pop over for a look at hundreds of other people who are choosing their best reality not unachievable perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. It is nice to know someone is listening.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails