Wednesday 22 July 2009

Last Day as Daddy's Baby

On my wedding day my good friend and groomsman Lance gave me a tidbit of advice along the lines of "occassionally stop and smell the roses because things like this only happen once". He didn't mean this flippantly, rather to purposefully stop every now and then and just appreciate what is happening. I took and will always be grateful for his advice because it accentuated some of the more poignant moments of that day, but more importantly it has helped me to really identify and cherish similar times through general life.

This morning was one of those moments. After the previous two nights of stormy weather and frequent wake-ups due to fright, Noah slept through the whole night to 6am. As is usual practice these days, I found Noah standing at the end of his cot just pleading for some milk and a cuddle (this sight melts Kirsty's and my heart every time). So I picked him up, put him on my lap, fed him a bottle and started rubbing his belly. All of a sudden I realised that this routine procedure was different - it was the last time I would be doing it with a baby - because tomorrow my beautiful little boy turns 1 year old. I must admit I had a tear in my eye from a mixture of sadness, nostalgia and happiness, and as if somehow sensing my thoughts, Noah reached his freezing little hand up and held my cheek.

Noah, you have turned into the most amazing little boy and have forever changed my life in the best way possible. Happy birthday for tomorrow my little monkey, but for today I am just going to cherish you as my sweet little baby.

I love you with all my heart and soul, Daddy XXX

2 comments:

  1. To the DeRoach family,

    Congrats on Noah reaching 1. Rob, beautiful post mate. Just sorry we couldn't be there on the weekend.

    Glenn and Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob.... you are just one big gorgeous softy.... you manage to bring a tear to my eye so often when I read your beautiful notes. What a lucky little man is Noah to be surrounded by such love from you, Kirsty and all the wonderful family and friends in his life.
    Happy Happy Happy 1st Birthday Noah! May it be full of love, giggles, cake, presents, smiles and plenty of cuddles!
    Love
    Grant, Leanne, Hannah and Jay
    xx xx xx xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. It is nice to know someone is listening.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails