Wednesday 21 May 2008

26 weeks gone 77 days to go.

We are moving along through this pregnancy and I am thrilled that we are being induced early. It could actually be as early as 36 weeks - making it only 70 days to go. At the very latest Poppy will be arriving at 37 weeks.

The weekend just gone was the equivalent time in our pregnancy that we last Banjo so we were feeling quite stressed out anyway and then we received a call from our OB at 10am on Saturday morning. One thing you would all know is that a call on the weekend from any Doctor is not good news.

Our bad news came in the form of a positive test result for Group B Strep (the bacteria that was believed to have been the cause of Banjo's death). It just happened to coincide with a weekend we were already on tenterhooks plus I had been experiencing a lack of movement from Poppy. We were asked to go directly to the hospital for scans and so that I could be placed on IV antibiotics.

The scan was not very reassuring as even though bubs heart rate was fine she was not really moving at all (compared to our normally very active baby you would have heard me talk about). The Doctor of course assured us that if the heart rate was normal we had nothing to worry about but it's very hard to be convinced in this situation.

I had a cannula inserted in my wrist and had a dose of the antibiotics with instructions to return at 6pm and midnight for 2 further doses. We did all this and on Sunday I started on a 5 day course of oral antibiotics.

Since Sunday Poppy's movements have returned to normal which is great and who knows if it was all a huge coincidence or if we got to her just in time with the antibiotics.

One thing I know for sure is this pregnancy is really hard and stressful. It's so much more difficult than I thought it would be. I honestly thought I could put what happened before behind me and use my logical brain to know that chances of a repeat of events is millions to one. It just isn't so - I feel like I am going to lose my mind and I must have cried at least once a day for the last 6 months.

Thank you to all of you who constantly support Rob & I - I'm only just realising how much you are all on tenterhooks as well. Poppy is going to do us all proud - I really believe that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirsty....you are the bravest person I know on the face of the earth. The strength you have shown throughout your entire ordeal (a.k.a pregnancy!!) is amazing and the fact that you feel you're going out of your mind and that you must have cried every day since you found out little Poppy was growing inside you, doesn't take anything away from the fact that you're still the bravest person I know!! To endure what you have endured and to have every barrier put up in front of you at every turn and to have got through it all with a smile on your face makes me very proud to call you my friend. You deserve little Poppy more than anyone I know and in just 76 sleeps you'll be holding that little (a.k.a BIG!!!) baby in your arms. Keep strong and keep dopplering away!! It sounds like you have an amazing medical team behind you who want Poppy here in perfect health, as do you and the rest of us, so keep doing what you're doing cost whatever it is you're doing is working. 76 sleeps to go....76 sleeps to go...76 sleeps to go....Love, Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. It is nice to know someone is listening.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails