Friday 10 September 2010

Winter's Last Stand

The week in Perth started with sun shining and I was raring to go - crossing jobs off the list at a cracking pace.  Tuesday afternoon and winter decided to make it's last stand.  The rain came down and the winds howled.  The washing pile grew.

Then Wednesday the return of winter made itself known not only as bad weather - I became suddenly ill with a flu/gastro/migraine thingy that quickly sent me crawling into bed. So what started as a great week has ended with me being in bed almost constantly since Wednesday lunchtime.  I have never been in bed sick for that long except post surgery.  I think I'm feeling better today but I am also hopped up on cold and flu tablets so the truth of the matter remains to be seen.  Unfortunately Noah started to go downhill last night so it could be a rough weekend too.

My husband has managed to still go to work (and so far has avoided the lergy) but has been wonderful in sorting us out in the morning before he leaves and taking care of us both in the evenings.

Last weekend we visited a friend who had a new baby - her second baby girl.  I figured that she would already have every conceivable baby item required so decided that our gift to her would be food.  I cooked up a double batch of  Pumpkin Cannelloni - one for her family and one for mine and a yummy raspberry coconut cake and off we went.  I truly think these practical and homemade gestures are received with so much more appreciation than another baby outfit.

Anyhow it turns out that the cannelloni was also a godsend for my family this week and we've survived on it for lunches and dinners for most of the week.  A little bit boring sure but what a relief to have it ready to go.


Pumpkin, Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni

Ingredients

  •      800g kent pumpkin peeled and roughly chopped
  •      1 garlic clove finely chopped
  •      2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
  •      Pinch dried chilli flakes
  •      250g frozen spinach (thawed and excess liquid removed)
  •      400g low-fat ricotta
  •      Pinch ground nutmeg
  •      200g cannelloni tubes
  •      100g grated mozzarella
  •      1-2 tablespoons pine nuts (if desired)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius

Roast Pumpkin in oven (keep oven hot after roasting to cook the finished cannelloni)

Heat oil in saucepan and sauté garlic until aromatic.  Stir in tomato and chilli.  Bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper.

In a bowl mash cooled pumpkin and add spinach, ricotta and nutmeg – stir well
Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish (approx. 20x30cms)

Fill cannelloni tubes with pumpkin mixture and place in a single layer in dish.(use piping bag or plastic Ziploc bag with the corner cut off)

Pour remaining tomato mixture over cannelloni and sprinkle with mozzarella and pine nuts.

This is the official recipe - when I make my tomato sauce I also add capsicum, zucchini (and any other veg you fancy) which has been very finely diced in the food processor.  I'd rather get as many vegies in as possible.

I hope you and your family are well.  Try this recipe I guarantee you'll love it.

4 comments:

  1. Since when is cannelloni EVER boring?!? I'd eat it every day for a year if I could (then you could roll me out to be Santa at Christmas!!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Maxabella but really the same cannelloni for every meal for a week does get a bit much. Good thing there were some chocolate brownies to break the monotony. I hope you try the recipe XX K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. So strange to me to hear about winter when we are still in the midst of late summer, early fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that meal looks so yum! I would be more than happy to accept such a lovely gesture! what a kind friend :) and you even made a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. It is nice to know someone is listening.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails